Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I love dancing


Alright last week was my last audition for a while, since I'll be going down to Florida soon to do BARNUM. In this bizness you're always trying to work, and have consistent work, which means setting yourself up to have back to back gigs or shows, hince why I have still been audtioning for stuff. Just trying to make sure I have work next year. So Last week I auditioned for the tour of DORA DORA. Nothin special to report. The only thing that really happened was when I was called to dance the casting Lady had to also add the fact that I had a job already to my name, pretty much putting me on blast in front of everybody. She is the same casting company that cast BARNUM, so she knew me from that. So I felt bad that she did that in front of everybody. With my mind on all of that it made me totally mess up my audition, but I still made it thru, and sang my song. Oh yeah and the pianist is a friend from school who was actually in my choir at Penn State, who is now a piano sub for THE LITTLE MERMAID






The more important thing that happened last week was my dancing gig for this Bahtmitzpha. My friend contacted me ealier this summer to dance for her for this gig. I also found out that the man who was her, and our boss, was also another Penn State graduate that I had known. Go STATE! Any way the theme for the party was old Hollywood Glamour, so Katrina came up with the idea of the IT girl thru the ages, and to have the birthday girl come out at the end to be the it girl of 2000. We had 3 rehearsals during the week, and then performed at the party saturday night, though we had to be there all day. Let me just say that I knew this was a big deal when I found out how much I was getting paid for this, and then times that by 10 for all the dancers, and realized wow if they're planning on spending that much just for our part of the entertainment. Then I found out that they didn't like they carpeting in the country club of the ball room, so they had it taken out and white tile put in. Yeah it was like that. They even had little California Pizza Kitchen, KFC, and McDonalds stands for the kids, and to top it off, at the end on the way out they had a whole mock Dunkin Dounuts stand set up. No joke. I heard the whole thing was around....$250,000. And that's all I have to say about that.


The other really amazing thing that happened last week happened on Monday. I gave myself the goal this year that by the end of the year I would be tumbling. I've found that with my body size, and look people assume I tumble, and everything has tumbling in it these days, especially Disney shows. I thought I wouldn't be able to uphold that goal cause all summer I was in Ok city, and the only place I knew gave classes here in the city was expensive. That is until I found out that the dance studio where I have been taking most of my classes has an acro class, Great!! So I took last monday to try it out, Lets just say that after the class was over I was doing standing back handsprings, and roundoff back handsprings!!!!!!!!!!!
UMM YEAH TOTALLY AWESOME!!
This week in class he moved me into the power tumbling group with him, and made me perfect my roundoff backhandsprings so that I could start doing more handsprings. I also started working on my back tucks, which is just standing and jumping up and doing a back flip, they usually come after you do a tumbling pass to end it off. It's all very exciting, And everyone is pretty amazed that I am learning so quickly without ever having tumbled before. I just give all Glory to GOD. As Albert Einstein said, "dancers are the atheletes of God." So maybe He gives extra grace and strength to us. I'm just sayin.
So the other cool thing that happened Monday of this week was I got a call from Pilobolus to see if I could go to SPAIN for a gig for them, and if I could leave Wednesday(today). Umm, YEAH!!

1 comment:

Dave Bell said...

You look so natural in the 'fro bro!