Thursday, May 10, 2007

Death Watch

I'm going to go off subject here for this one, hope you don't mind a little real life.

Yesterday I help celebrate my mother's birthday. It was great , took her and my Dad to a fancy restaraunt here in philly, where we were VIP statused because Of where I work, and they did it right made her feel great.
On they way in she said something that was off kelter, she says We're celebrating Death, and explained that we're celebrating another day closer to her dying, and how she is in the midst of watching her mother, my grandmother, on her death bed. It was heavy and real though, somwhat light hearted, very matter of fact sort of tone, my dad tried to pursuade her out of it but, My mother's always lived in the real world, I think she's where I get my cander for just being real.
We sit down, and a thing happened my mother did, which I never would've expected, and was taken off guard for a moment. When the waiter was going to take the extra place setting away, my mother stopped him, and said it was in honor of her mother. Ok. Now my grandma was still living so I was thrown a little off, Now my mother had sent me a text the morning before saying that I need to see her cause she doesn't have much time, so I knew to be more sensitive. as I said Lunch was great, My mother felt special. Mission accomplished in a extra hard time.

It was an hr later, when I was standing in Jcrew trying to meet with a manager wondering why I didn't get the job, when I received a call from my mother saying, "grandma had passed away, I'll talk to you later." Oh dear Lord, not on this day!

But my mother wrote a poem as she often does to express how she feels, called death watch, in it she talks about how her son wants to celebrate her life, and how we all have to die, and therefore we should celebrate living.

So take a moment,
Now go out and live,
and remember, living is loving people as hard as you possibly can

1 comment:

Valerie said...

thanks for sharing that Alfie!

val