Monday, June 18, 2007

THE ARGENTINIAN AWKWARD ARM POSTURE






Well this morning I wake up early all ready to go for this audition, so I thought. Then the day unfolded it's dastardly tricks.



And it all started with me not being able to find my shorts, or my flipflops. Oh geesh, so I spent a good portion of my time freakin out about what to do, instead of simple get ready things like putting on lotion to my ashy legs and feet.( I felt so awful all day with bad lookin feet). And now I am extremely late for catching the bus. Remember this bus is the one that I just missed last time, Greyhound likes to overbook their trips. by the way you haven't experienced the life of an artist if you have not taken a bus to get somewhere. Anyway, so I am way late for the bus, but Praise God it hasn't left yet, oh wait... in fact it's 20 mins late. Golley Gees!



So I knew we weren't going to get into the city until 9:20am, that's ok I thought, I still will have about 20 mins before the audition to get ready. So I fall in and out of consciousness as the typical bus ride in sues. We get more than half way there, and then it dawns on me, I FORGOT MY JAZZ SHOES!!!!! AWWW MAN. What is wrong with this day, am I not supposed to be at this audition! So I know that I can't dance barefoot, or in socks, so I plan my route to the nearest dance store by the bus station. Of course it is in the opposite direction of the audition studio, which happens to be Chelsea,( aww blessed m&ms).



Now to give you a number scale of what I had to exercise thru. Port Authority is 4oth st, Time Square is 38th to 51st. Capezio dance store 51st and 8th ave, and Chelsea studios is 26th, between 6 and 7th ave. Now the Dance store wasn't even opened when I got there, which was after 9:30, mind you the audition is at 10. The gate was still half way down, but I only had to wait for about 2 mins, and they came over, of course I shot thru to the shoes, and kind of grabbed the first ones I saw and said get me these in my size. With the shoes in tow hopped on the subway to the 23rd st stop. Ended up getting on the express to Brooklyn, and hop off at 34th penn station, to transfer, but Praise the lord, I was able to get off at 28th and Broadway.( There's some New York sub life for ya).



I get to the studio about 9:55, and just figure I'll be in one of the later groups, I look into the room and I see a room with about 10 people a long the perimeter, including Andre and Chris from my show now. ( Andre from earlier blogs, and Chris is the other one in the picture on the left holding his leg up.) Well turns out there were only 18 guys who showed up for this call, Andre tells me they already had a call, and are still looking for guys. So I made it cool. Well the audition dance was so weird. It had all these weird inverted arms, and flipped wrists, that made you look so unmanly, Oh I forgot to say what show, this was for the National Tour of EVITA.



So she tells us as well that it's all about the arms too, oh great just what I need to worry about. well I ended up in the first group to go, and boy was I not ready. So they let me go again at the end, where I did a whole lot better. Praise the Lord!!! The choreographer said she was only looking for 2 guys to fill the cast, and she kept 5 to sing, and yes, I was one of them. So we had to do this foot rhythm thing which we all bombed, and then lined up to sing, which I was last to do, and then after I sang they asked if I could come Tuesday and sing and dance for the director, um ...I said yes. So you'll hear about that later.

No comments: