Sunday, February 3, 2008

Aloha

Who wouldn't want to go to Haiwai!!


Yeah I think everyone in this country would hope to make a life stop on those islands one day. Well that being said when I got a an email that told me there was an audition for Norwegian cruiselines specifically for there Aloha cruiseline I immediately bought a bus ticket, even when it was only like 8hrs til I had to get up for it! That is how things kind of go in this bizness, when you see an oppurtunity, you gotta just get up and go.
I had to get up at 530am so that I could stay in my routine of working out for my Cirque aud. before I got ready to get the bus. Ugh, gruelling. Got the 7am greyhound,(which by the way they uped there prices which sucks, but it's only 50 cents more then china town, with subway ride, so still worth it.) The studio they used is this new studio, called The New Dance Group, which is this beautiful space with like 9 studios, and tons of all types of classes, I can't wait to take class there!
One thing I've learned about cruiseline auditions, all the students come out from the woodworks for these, and so there is a total difference in attitude and professionalism, and a naivity. Kids who just talk and talk, and can be annoying, and can't really dance, or just don't understand how to properly present themselves yet. It's ok though, it'll come in time.
For some reason I can't find my jazz shoes so I figured I would just do it in socks or barefeet. Now I ended up being in the 3 group to go in, only because I went up to the moderator and asked him if I should have been in that group, which then I had to run in late and figure everything out in the back, cause they had already learned like the first 16 counts of 8. The choreographer yelled something like," You alright back there?" to which I replied, I will be. And by the grace of God I was. Long Story short, I made it passed that cut, even in barefeet.( though when I had to perform the combination they turned us sideways to face the table and cut off all our space to dance, not very smart of them. I ended up nicking my toe on the bar from a kick, and getting kicked by another guy.) After all the guys who got picked learned another dance, cowboy themed. We all did well, and they kept us all, put us on tape, and kept us on file. That's the way Cruises work, you make it by getting on file, then if they want you for a certain ship they call you. I decided to stay and sing as well, and I did, it was nice and pretty, and they told me I had a good day, which I only hope means we'd really like to use you, and plan on hiring you. They have an immediate need for a male starting feb 21. which is only 2 days from my cirque aud. Now I would love to be offered a job, anywhere!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Alf....mmmmm I chanting for your sucess at Cirque! I really think you deserve to see your dreams. as well...Vero and I dream of seeing you on stage every time your in San Francisco.
I know cruise ships can be a little Hollywood and may be dissmissive of your talents. My friend is a cruiseline chef and with all the crew..there is a little co-dependancy to keep you in the system. However if CirqueDS isnt what you think it is ( and as some fullfiled dreams can be ) please be assured that means your closer to your dream than you think. Take care and enjoy!

EMan & Vero