Sunday, March 2, 2008

Pilobolus DAY1




Well, here we go
Sorry I thought I was going to be able to write during the week after rehearsals, but man I end up going to bed at like 10 just knocked out. So here it is Sunday, doing what the Lord says to do and taking a day of rest, to catch up.

So, Wednesday( 2 weeks ago). I catch the 10am greyhound bus to NYC pretty standard, it'll get me there by 121opm and I have 20 mins to get to the studio, and check in, for the 1pm go, not stressed no problem. Well of course there happens to be some massive traffic problem, of course the day where I have no time to spare in between. So this uncomfortable ride where the bus is packed and I'm sitting with an odd shaped bag under my feet, which doesn't cause me to sit up, and an overweight bag in my lap, that usually lasts 2 hrs, ends up being pretty much 3, without a lot of pauses. Very Painful. As I look at the time I figure Ok, I guess I'm not meant to be at this audition, which I thank God this was not the major thing I was trying to go after, cause I was able to just stay relaxed, and say oh well, Cirque is Saturday!
But I was trying to figure a way out to still audition today, now I knew I would be cutting it close, so I figured worse comes to worse I could just try and finagle(I have no idea how to spell that), my way into the call back the next day. We finally get into the city, and I scramble to get to the subway and get the quickest train I can up town. Now I haven't been to this studio space before so I didn't even know exactly where I was going, but I end up getting on the wrong train then I anticipated, SHOOOT! this will take even more time, gees maybe I'm really not supposed to be here. Well As I shoot pass the stop I think I should be getting off at, I settle for the extra blocks I'll have to walk, It's all about changing your attitude, but as I get off and start trying to find an exit that leads me closer to where I need to get out, I realize that I made a mistake in my address, and that I was actually only a block up from where I needed to be, and That God had once again put me in the place where I needed to be, despite myself. HA
Anyway, so I rush to find this place, end up going in the wrong building and finally come to this place. I get up stairs and I see this young woman hanging out in the stairwell, with what looks like a sign in sheet. She realizes I'm there to audition and shes like umm, I ask if it's to late, and she decides to just teach it to me right there in the hall way, so I throw my stuff down, change clothes in a storage closet and go. No warm up, no stretch, Oh well, gotta do what you do.
SO I learn the phrase, it wasn't really a dance just movement, running, jumping, stopping, rolling. The thing that was perplexing me though was how quiet it was, there was no music coming from the studio where they were auditioning, and I just saw these guys, half topless, just waiting by the door looking into the studio. So after the phrase you go back to the corner and then one by one improv across the floor. So I join the last group, the last guy to go, we walk in stand in a line of which I am on the end of on the right, between 10-15 guys. We all state our names, age,where we're from, and how tall we are, and then we go off to the side, and GO.
So I pass the cut, and as they delegate what else needs to be done, I try and warm up, and stretch. They Have us do another improv pass, and he tells us to bring it, so I stretch out my hyper extension, and plan to bring it. I work it out starting off with some fast turns which go right into a turning leap to the ground. Do a toe touch, and a kick to my face and then a layout which is another kick to my face, and then while my leg is in the air I bend back. Awesome. and then I do a huge horizontal barrel turn( I love barrel turns), but as I land my foot semi slips, but my hands catch it just in time, and it all happens right when they called time,YES! They have us do another pass, they say they want something different, and full of energy, so I decide to do the opposite of what I thought was strong and manly, so I totally ditz out, just kind of skip hopping and flailing my arms, not dancing just really acting flamboyantly queer actually, but in the middle I break out into a krumping mode(popping my chest back and forth real quick, for all you non hip hoppers). I get mad laughs from that, so I feel good. They have us do another pass! this time they ask if we can loose our shirts, and then says well actually as much skin as possible. I have to admit I turned to the lady who taught me the phrase and asked if she wanted me to go down to dance belt, we laughed and agreed I was fine. Now I was running low on creative ideas, and was so relieved when I saw that he was directing to people on what to do. He made this one guy stand as tall as he physically could on his tip toes, which of course was not tall enough, then brush his teeth fiercely, and sing marry had a little lamb. Um, it was hysterical. Another guy had to from a neutral position turn into a hunchback, Another did half is improv with his eyes clothes, very daring. Now I went up there and presented myself, and in a stance that said alright give me your best, and actually one of the other guys leading the audition saw that , and said Yeah Bring it on! Well first he had me bring my shoulders to my ears, no make them touch leave um there, no dance! All the while he's yelling at me to keep my shoulders up and keep dancing. It kind of felt like he was saying "DANCE MONKEY DANCE!"
Well I was the end of all that, they had another cut, and then told the rest of us to come back at 5pm with the other group of guys, but what was really cool is they asked the 6 of us that were left when our availability was, and how soon we could start. That's never happened to me in an audition before. Oh and out of the 6 the teeth brusher, the hunchback, the closed eyes, were all in it. Now I thought the call back was the next day, so I figured they just decided to have it tonight instead, which was all fine by me. During the break I find the nearest gym, and stretch out some more, and do some crunches, gotta stay as snatch as I can. I get back around 430 to find that they are having the girls call back, and I find my friend Sara(the one who was doing Cirque with me who can stand on her shoulders, you know). 5 comes and they call the guys from the first group in and let the 6 of us watch them, actually we were all in by this point, including the girls they kept. Now they only had to do one improv pass, and then they made a cut, I felt that was unfair, but I'm also glad I was in the group I was in cause this group had a lot of acrobatic, martial arts type of guys, while ours was more dancy. Well after the made their last guy cut, there was some confusion as to what was going to happen, it was like 630 by this point, and we were only supposed to be there til 7. So they decide to just work with the boys for the rest of the night. We work on some cool partnering things, some sharing of weight exercises, and cool shifting moving things. Now I started out with a pretty rough partner, that just wasn't making me look good at all, but then God worked it out as usual that I got the best person, in fact this guy was the only other diesel guy there besides myself(dare I say). Actually one of the guys from the company came over to us and was working with us, and told us that they were actually really looking at us 2 for their company and that they really liked us, so needless to say I felt really good. and I was wrong, they told us to come back the next day at 12 ready to do a lot of partnering. That was day 1

No comments: