Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Part 1, Not Monkeying around



Yesterday morning,
I boarded the good ole Chinatown bus, and headed up NYC
to audition for Disney's musical Tarzan. Now I love this movie and the music is really heart connecting for me, laugh if you will, but I'm a dreamer, and have a childs heart. Even at Disney's Animal Kingdom, at Disney World, I would sneak over to the Tarzan rocks show on my lunch break, or in between my shows from Festival of the lion King, and watch the dancers and aerialists, and sometimes, I admit, I would leave crying.
I love to be inspired, and have my heart encouraged.
Anyway, so I get to the studio and I run into Oz, who I haven't seen since 2001, and I'm not sure from where I know him from, But it can only be from Ailey that summer, or Point Park Conservatory that fall. I think it's from the latter. That was cool, he had said that he had auditioned for them before, but didn't make it because he wasn't equity,( which is the actor's union), so since he was now, he was hopin to go far. Now as I looked around I was astonished at the other guys. They looked more like me, and some looked even bigger. I'm used to going in and seeing more of a variety of men at audtions, and airing more on the average to skinny type of guy, I usually stand out as one of the buff guys, here I was right in the mix.
As I prepared myself to warm up, I noticed that everyone else was warming up in ways I hadn't thought, everybody was upside down, on their hands. Hand stands, one arm walk overs, Capioera balances, hip hop holds, and other acrobatic stunts. Oh Boy! here we go. I don't have alot of those, not yet anyway. I do want to get some gymnastic training sooner or later.
Let me tell you a little about this auditioning life. When you aren't in the equity union, when you go to an equity call, you're doing what they call "crashing" the audition. Now you can only do broadway shows if you're equity, so the only way to get in is to crash, it's weird, but it's expected. They just have a seperate sign up for non union, and they see them after all the equity. When you go to these auditions, you never know if you're going to be seen or not, it's a gamble, you kind of consider it your job for the day to go to the audition. Well basically what ended up happening, was that they were in some kind of hurry, and were already having there callbacks at 1230. The audition started at 10, and they were taking an hr with 20 people at a time, and they had 53 equity people, so if you figure it out, I didn't make the time cut. SO I called Andre and told him that when he got there we were leaving. We both had other auditions later that day in the city, so it wasn't a total bust, well looks like I'm not going to be an ape anytime soon, oh well.

1 comment:

kelkelrf said...

you betta blog, okaaaaaaay!!!