Saturday, April 28, 2007

part 4, Show Palace Theater


Well after we had our fabulous lunch with big bro,
Andre and I went to our perspective auditions, and they ended up being in the same studio just 2 doors apart.
So nothing real exciting to report about this audition. It was for a dinner theatre in florida. I love the FL. My first experience of it was when I worked at an internship at Disney World. made some great friends down there, who I've really only gotten to see once in 4 yrs. But maybe things will change. When I worked at Disney my VIP character was Eeyore, and I was a dancer in the Festival of the lion king show.
So the first group went in and like 15 mins into waiting, Andre comes strolling in, so I make him sign up with me, and we audition together. It was a weird jazz combination, where they threw things from no where. but we worked it out. Actually it was weird cause instead of going by our numbers, They were just picking certain groups of people to go together, well we get to the end, and he kind of didn't ask to see me, I almost thought I was not even in the runnings, but I was wrong he put me front and center for the last group of girls. So Andre and I made it past the cut, and they asked us to sing, now we were running late already to make it back to rehearsal, so I had to ask him, if he'd hear us sing first, and they were nice and we did. and ran to find the nearest subway,to catch the bus.


The Cursing Dilemma
Now we arrived to rehearsal like an hr late, oopsie!!
But it was really scary when the director calls me over in a real serious manner.
I thought I was going to get scolded about not being professional or something, But he says to me, I want you to do this scene. Wait, what?
Yeah so I was given another part to do in the show, Aaron the lawyer for the hunyak. great sure no problem, until I look it over.
Now for those that don't know, I am a man of faith, and though I might be questioning a lot of things, I still hold on to the morals and values I believe in. I really don't like swearing, and I try to encourage others to be creative and be colorful with their language in other ways. It's hard in the theater world when it comes to this, cause you are being paid to be a character, to act, not like yourself, but some one that you are portraying. and sometimes lots of roles call for harsh curse words to really understand the harsh demeanor of a person.
A while ago I asked my youth pastors wife what she did, cause she was in professional theater , and she had said that she deemed it ok to curse, but that she wouldn't say the Lords name in vain since that was a direct oder to not do. and so I have bee living by that.
Well I see the script and 3/5ths of my lines are accented with choice words, and wouldn't be perfect that they are all some form of the one thing I won't say. So I had to turn everything to damn,( sorry). gees lousie

1 comment:

j u s t i n said...

alfie...it sounds like you have so many good opportunities and your learning so much...so cool to read.