Thursday, April 26, 2007

part 3, Big Brother Broadway Star





As We were hanging around the city, I thought it would be awesome if we could actually see a Broadway star!, So I called my big brother James Lane to see if we could have lunch with him. James is in the new revival of the Broadway show, A CHORUS LINE.
A CHORUS LINE is actually the movie musical I saw my freshmen year of high school that made me want to do this whole music theater thing in the first place. Pretty cool hunh. This musical is awesome, it's all about the life of trying to get into a Broadway Show chorus, or the ensemble, which is exactly what I'm trying to do. And it's all about singing and dancing.
Praise the lord, it works out, and we meet him at the Alvin Ailey studios,(beautiful dance space by the way), and we go have lunch together.
Now the reason I call James my big bro, is because we have some significant same things in common, like having gone to Penn State, and singing in the same choir, and being in philly, and have been thru similar hard life situations. He has been a primary encouragement in what steps to take, and what things I should be doing to pursue this career, from a first hand perspective. He also is an example of how to stay spiritually connected in this biz, and constantly reminds me that it's ok to fall, as long as you get back up, and continue in the right direction.
We had a great time talkin, and being inspired by him, He is encouraging me,( along with every other theater friend), to move to NYC when I'm done here in the fall. And he ended his argument with a quote from his friends poetry,
" saying, and doing, are the most distant relatives in the family of self actualization". Yeah, ponder on that for a while.
I think the coolest thing happened as we were walking down the street getting ready to go our perspective ways, we get to the corner about to say good bye, and James shouts out, "Look, look, look, there's me!!!!" And starts "shoutin"(which is holy spirit filled church dancing) A metro public NYC bus drove by, with the side of it plastered with the Broadway show poster of A Chorus Line, Which he is right smack in the middle of. How awesome, self realization.

No comments: