Monday, August 20, 2007

This is Awesome!



NO this is really freakin Awesome!!!

Well yesterday, being sunday, I wanted to go to church, and especially cause I don't think I'm gonna have many opportunities to be able to go to a real service for the next 10 months or at least til break in december. Well my friend who I'm staying with( the beautiful Channie), reminded me about a church we had sun at back in college, so I was headed there, I looked online to make sure where it was and realized I didn't want to go to such a big corporate formality. So I started lookin on other sites to check out Churches, found one I'd thought I'd try, It was pretty good, oh but one thing. Now they had a woman do a dance to a worship song, and it was almost the saddest thing I had ever seen. Almost embarrassed to say that I was a dancer. Anyway, as I was having some refreshments after service, and talking to this cute girl who I found out was a dancer from San Diego, a girl approached me, who to my surprise was my friend Carole, The lead from my first show, AIDA(she was aida). How cool! So we had brunch together and hung out. Then I went to work out, and let me just say New York Sports Clubs have so much more to offer than Philly. SO I took an african dance class, I don't think it's often that the first time you take a class, that when the class is over the teacher asks you to audition for his company. So needless to say I felt pretty awesome after that. Then I had to go hangout with my friends Carole(aida) and Kim( who was also in Aida), to see Kim off, she left today for the National tour of THE WEDDING SINGER! Oh and Carole got the national tour of WHISTLE DOWN THE WIND! Man it's so awesome to be in this place in my life, where I'm in this peer group that is so talented. It was just a totally awesome day!

and I didn't even start rehearsals yet.
Well, the first day of rehearsal. It was great!! When I got there I found that I knew one of the girls, she graduated with me from Penn State. Also our stage manager is from our class to, yeah Penn State represent. I am the only chocolate in the cast, which I was kind of surprised, there is one other bit of spice, that's it. I thought it would be a more diverse cast since my dark self got in. HA! Anyway everybody seems ok right now, but you can already see who you might be drawn too. Alot of people our excited cause it's their first tour, so I fit right in, and most are around my age.
Well we started out meeting the artistic team. You know I failed to mention that the director and choreographer of this show, is the original guy from the Broadway show. Um... it's a big deal to be apart of this tour, talk about contacts and connections. And something that was interesting, I was about to go and told the assistant choreographer Kim, that I was going to the gym so I could get my leg up(which means be able to kick my face, you from the gym know what I mean), and she says yeah someone told me you had crazy legs, and could do all that. Really? SHe couldn't remember exactly who it was, but guessed it might have been the casting director. Now I have auditioned for that casting guy 3 times now, so he knows I can dance, and if that's the kind of name that I'm making already without even working, PRAISE GOD!!
So anyway, we had a big ole history lesson, which I have to admit was pretty boring, but informative to know how big this show is, and who all is involved. Now this show since it's an operetta( it means it's all sung), has mad orchestrations, and since we're going on tour we can't take a huge 11 piece string section. So this other amazing guy went over to London and got the Philharmonic Orch. to record for us, along with some other world reknown brass from Germany, and the rough tracks are amazing!! WOW I love working with the top professionals in their field. After the high school lesson, we started learning the music for the opening and closing of act 1. And let me just tell you theses people can sing. I feel so overwhelmed, and scared cause theses people just vocally have it. But I have to remember I'm here to kick my face. BUt I have never sounded so good as a base before.Praise God.
It is so awesome to be working with professionals, it feels so awesome. by the way awesome is the word of the day, if you couldn't tell. Hey the video to the left is the song we learned today. It's the closing song from act 1. That is the original broadway cast, and Patti La pone( you know, o blah dee, o blah dah). Enjoy!

No comments: