Sunday, November 18, 2007

the call,jet's turn,and goobers

Well it has been one crazy kind of day here in Eugene Oregon.
It was a 2 show day which already means that things are going to be funky, and everyones going to be tired and over it. And we also know by now one of the leads will call out for one show.
Well while I was in the dressing room getting ready for the matinee show, a good friend called me from a number I didn't recognize, so I didn't answer, once I listened to my voice mail I immediately was broadsided by guilt and grief. My friend Eric had called to talk to me, console in me, and tell me that his mother passed away early friday morning. I knew she had been battling cancer, but the last time we talked which was a couple of months ago, she doing kimmo, and was I thought on the up and up. She was only 44. SO needless to say it was kind of hard to take this after not being in touch for a while. Of course I immediately called him to talk. I am glad that in this time of heartache he knew he could come to me and be consoled, and encouraged,or that he even wanted too. it was great to hear his voice and to even hear some joy in it. He was happy that God wanted another angel by his side, and he told me he was even happy to be talking to me. He asked how and what I was doing, which I clearly retorted how much it didn't matter, but he was happy to know that I am living my dream, we Even shared some fun memories and laughed.
Again needless to say, it changed the whole mood and attitude of my first show.Energy level was kind of down, and I was thinking about him, and my own mother alot. Please keep my friend Eric, and his family in your thoughts and prayers.
That was kind of the thing that just set me over, I was done with whatever anybody had to say that was negative, so I decided to stay between shows not go back to the hotel, and chill out. Went and found a place to have some beer cheese soup and salad, which has become a favorite, inexpensive staple for me, and then went and moved around in the studio. Oh yeah, we performed at this beautiful space, it seemed to be a new theatre the way it was clean, and the condition it was in, but we found that there has been many a tour for years that have come thru there. How? you ask, well there is this small black hallway and steps you have to go up to get to the stage from the dressing rooms. On the walls are paintings of the logos of the shows that have walked thru the hall to perform on this stage, with the signatures of the cast around it. The walls were full, it was awesome! People were just glancing thru and finding friends all over the place.










Our biggest adventure for the night was our 8pm show where Omar for the first time called out. I give it to him, he was trying to make it all the way to Christmas, but after 52 shows of screamin Che lyrics, he finally had to call out. Which meant that Jet had to go on for the first time. We like when things like this happen for it gives us fresh energy and a show to anticipate!, and Then we find out that Cameron called out! Whooo, 2 leads, so that meant Malia had to be Evita( now there was some formal mess about it all, but I don't understand any of it so whatever). Anyway, It was a great show, it was kind of nice Malia could go on cause, almost all her family was there, since she is from Portland. It was fun running the show seeing what things Jet was going to do, It makes us all have to be on our toes, cause you have to be ready for anything, and expect things to not go right at all. You prepare yourself to whatever's neccasary to keep the show going well, like moving out of the way when your dancing and Che comes right infront of you cutting off all your space, hahaha. We had a great show though, and it was really the only one people gave us a standing o for, so there.

The most fun aspect of the evening was meeting Jame's Family, for he too is from Portland, so almost all of his world was there including the "goobers"! These are his 2 nieces that we all know about from his semi daily updates on them, oh and cause of his adventourous pursuits to find a postcard in every city we're in for them. They have become our Mascots. Well Last night His mother invited us all to her room to have some Oregon Wine, and gourmet chips, and hangout with his family, minus the kids( his 2 nephews were there as well). We had a great time!! Every single cast member who came was greeted by a Hug from who is now deemed as our tour mom. All we did til 2 in the morning was tell stories of tour, and listen to crazy relational situations about their family. I must say I was truly surprised at how they could all exist in such crazyness, but Hey they do, and they embrace it, we all said they out the fun in disfunctional! HAHA, but we have already grown to love them. The next morning Lisa and I had breakfast with the full crew, and got to hear even more stories, and fully be adopted into the family. FANTASTIC. We had the most fabulous send off today, all the kids got to get on the bus, and we got to run around with them and get them all wound up for there trip home. They all left us with an excitement for the next leg. In march we go to Thousand Oaks California for a week, they said they had already had plans to be there and go to Disneyland, well let's just say we're already making the schedule for who gets to take the goobers and the boys on the rides!

There's so many last names with them all, I'll just say thanks Evita extended Family!! We Love YOU!

ps. the pumpkin cake, ohh, yesss!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey alfie,
I think we got our signals crossed last week. I thought you were going to call us but maybe you were waiting for us to do the same. Let's catch up soon...things will be a bit crazy over Thanksgiving but we have lots of time after that. We're praying for you! Love! Rick and Kim